Skip to main content

After record rainfalls and widespread flooding throughout the Western Cape in recent weeks, all the attention is on Hollywoodbets Durbanville on Saturday where the Hollywoodbets Gr3 Matchem Stakes and the Hollywoodbets Gr3 Diana Stakes headline the Bubbles & Blossoms raceday.
Cape Racing’s Executive:Racing & Bloodstock Justin Vermaak confirmed to the Sporting Post on Friday that despite the torrential rains and flooding, with the resultant heightened water tables, that the country course track was raceable.

“If we raced today (Friday) it would be all systems go. But we must caution that we are unable to give a 100% green light for Saturday’s racemeeting at this stage, in view of the 10mm of rain forecast overnight. If we do indeed receive that precipitation, it could be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back,” he lamented.

Vermaak explained that their extraordinary measures of introducing ‘covers’ and Bedouin tents had worked well in tandem with a few days of glorious sunshine.

“The course is looking good. The track staff have done an amazing job. But we have to be realistic. The track, in fact the entire province, has taken a hammering from Mother Nature in recent months and the water tables are very high. If the rain comes overnight, we will have no choice but to abandon Saturday’s meeting.”

Vermaak said that there was naturally an option to postpone to the open local slot on Monday, but that the quality and status of the features, coupled with intelligence reports of a possible taxi strike, made it a less than realistic option.

“We would then look at running the Matchem and Diana at our racemeeting on Saturday 7 October, and hosting the minor races in an open slot in October.”

Cape Racing have led the field and become the industry leader in making proactive and timeous calls on racemeetings that have the impact of creating the least disruption and inconvenience for all involved.

“We are stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. As it stands, we are good to race. Come the rain, and it changes the reality. I hope that all stakeholders appreciate that we are desperate to race but we need to be prudent and sensible for safety of horse and rider. We will make an early Saturday morning call, and we remain positive, albeit very realistic!” he concluded.

Original article from Sporting Post
Read the full article here: